This is a guest post by Lesley from Lesley’s Vegan Kitchen.
“Vegan Carrot Pineapple Spice Cake”
2 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
3/4 cup vegan sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream
1 20 oz. can pineapple chunks
2 cups carrots, shredded
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 8 oz. Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
1 vegan, dairy free butter substitute
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon soy (or other non-dairy milk)
4 cups powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 350F.
2. Grease two 9 inch round cake pans with baking spray.
3. Combine the dry ingredients (the first 6 ingredients) in medium sized bowl.
4. Blend the pineapple chunks with its own juice and transfer liquid to a bowl and add Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream and carrots. Mix well.
5. Combine wet ingredients with the flour mixture and mix well.
6. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick come out clean. Then cool 10 minutes and remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack before frosting it.
1. Beat vegan butter with 2 cups of sugar and milk, add little by little the Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese. Mix for a couple of minutes and add the rest of the sugar and the vanilla. Mix until frosting reaches desired spreading consistency.
2. Place one cake layer on serving plate and spread frosting. Top with the other cake layer. Spread sides and top of cake with remaining frosting. Decorate with chopped walnuts.
*Note: This is NOT an official recipe from Tofutti Brands, Inc.